Please find below the results and report from today's Burway Open as done by Steve Burmingham.
- Burway Bowling Club hosted its Burway Open competition this past Sunday and the competition attracted a good amount of entries with competitors travelling from as far away as Blackburn and Derbyshire to take part. The predicted dodgy weather held off and a good days bowling was had by all on greens which held up well following a couple of days of rainfall.
- Some eyecatching performances in the early rounds saw defending champion Callum Wraight defeat three Wrockwardine Wood players to make it into the quarter finals and Pete Farmer dish out three single figure wins to make it through to the quarter finals as well.
- Semi Final number one was between two stalwarts of the County side as Derek Wright took on Callum Wraight. Wraight, who had lost on the green two night previously in a league game against Kevin Dovey, was in no mood to relinquish his title and raced into leads of 9 - 2 and 14 - 8. Wright got the block back in his hand and put some shots on the board and trailed 15 - 14 and 16 - 15 but Wraight used his green knowledge to run out a 21 - 15 winner.
- Semi Final number two was between Pontesbury's Rob Jones and Dan Petcher who represents Derbyshire nationally. The game was topsy turvy throughout and Petcher did brilliantly throughout the day on greens he'd only seen once before. After levelling things up at 9 - 9, Petcher took control and was soon 16 - 9 up and in pole position. This spurred Jones into action and from 18 - 11 down he was back in front 19 - 18. That was as good as it got for him though as Petcher led brilliantly to eke out a 21 - 19 win and set up a Shropshire vs Derbyshire final between close friends Wraight and Petcher.
- The sun came out for the final and with nearly 100 people staying to watch it, they were rewarded with a very entertaining game of bowls. Petcher started quickly and led 6 - 3 before Wraight found a short mark he liked. As was constant throughout the game, both of them were firing accurately at anything that was close to the jack but Wraight was leading well throughout and took an 18 - 12 lead. Petcher tried his best to stay in the game but Wraight's green knowledge again was vital and he won the game 21 - 13 to win the trophy for the fourth time in the last five years.
The committee of Burway Bowling Club would like to thank everyone who took part in the competition and made it such an enjoyable day and to the sponsors of the competition which were Coors Brewery, Ludlow Motors and Black Sheep Scaffolding who's sponsorship allowed great prize money to be offered to all competitors. Thanks to Chris Dovey and Dave Rankine for running the barbecue, Lyndsey Moreton and Gill Burmingham for providing food, Wayne Rogers for producing two great greens to bowl on for the day. Thanks also to Russell Davies, Steve Burmingham and Jolyon Partridge for organising and running the competition on the day and to club members Duncan Pressley, Carl Davies, Lawrence and Rita Rogers, Doug Andrews, Ben Allen and Adam Dovey for taping and marking cards throughout the day.
Callum Wraight receives the trophy off organiser Adam Dovey, with runner up Dan Petcher right.
- The following players had byes into round two: Derek Wright, Martin Gaut, Chris Worthington, Jen Rogers, Phil Lyttle, John Potter, Jamie King, Claire Williams, Jon Lyttle, Rob Fuller, Richard Lane, Neil Martin, Stuart Clee, Josh Bradburn, Dan Petcher, Paul Sutcliffe, Dave Lloyd, Rob Jones, Jackie Rutter.
- Clay Flattley 21 Graham Pritchard 7
- Stuart Rutter 21 Peter Bound 9
- Callum Wraight 21 Dale Downes 17
- Jon Palmer 21 Colin Yates 13
- Lee Wilding 21 Steve Rogers 18
- Sally Clee 21 Ash Wellings 15
- Paul Williams 21 Dan Bodley 15
- Darren Wellings 21 Steve Bodley 8
- Sam Millward 21 Bradley Bayliss 14
- Pete Farmer 21 Nick Mullinder 9
- Glynn Storer 21 Dan Taylor 9
- Toby Foxall 21 Glyn Wellings 14
- Simon Lane 21 David Walker 14
- Derek Wright 21 Martin Gaut 17
- Jen Rogers had a bye
- Phil Lyttle 21 John Potter 16
- Jamie King 21 Claire Williams 15
- Clay Flattley 21 Jon Lyttle 12
- Richard Lane had a bye
- Stuart Rutter 21 Neil Martin 15
- Callum Wraight 21 Stuart Clee 15
- Jon Palmer 21 Lee Wilding 16
- Paul Williams 21 Sally Clee 8
- Dan Petcher 21 Josh Bradburn 19
- Sam Millward 21 Darren Wellings 8
- Pete Farmer 21 Paul Sutcliffe 4
- Dave Lloyd 21 Glynn Storer 19
- Rob Jones 21 Toby Foxall 10
- Simon Lane 21 Jackie Rutter 17
- Derek Wright 21 Jen Rogers 16
- Jamie King 21 Phil Lyttle 15
- Clay Flattley 21 Richard Lane 19
- Callum Wraight 21 Stuart Rutter 9
- Paul Williams 21 Jon Palmer 18
- Dan Petcher 21 Sam Millward 20
- Pete Farmer 21 Dave Lloyd 6
- Rob Jones 21 Simon Lane 20
- Derek Wright 21 Jamie King 17
- Callum Wraight 21 Clay Flattley 18
- Dan Petcher 21 Paul Williams 13
- Rob Jones 21 Pete Farmer 8
- Callum Wraight 21 Derek Wright 15
- Dan Petcher 21 Rob Jones 19
- Callum Wraight 21 Dan Petcher 13