Shropshire sealed their second win of the campaign with a 33 shot victory over Wales, but at one time in the middle four it looked anything from comfortable.
A good start at home with Callum Wraight 13-2 up and Rich Goddard 9-1 helped us to a 11 shot lead from the front four, with Callum winning 14 and Darren Wellings continuing his 100% home record with another 14 win. Away from home on the carpet at Betws-yn-Rhos and Scott Harries gave us a great start winning 7 into and out of the hole. This was backed up by a 21-20 win for Rich Lawson with Andy Moss playing excellently with Jason Jones in the best game of the day, with Jason Jones winning their man of the match award for his 17 victory. This helped us to a lead of 2 shots there.
Into the middle four and two 10 losses at home meant the atmosphere was dampened slightly but Wayne Phillips started the comeback winning 9 with Ash Wellings having a sound win on his debut 17 to give us a lead of 5 there. In Wales and Phil Emery and Rob Burroughs suffered poor starts but both fought back as well as Rob Roden winning 12 on short marks and Pete Grimston winning 17 on round pegs on his return, which meant we increased our lead to 5.
At the back and Adie Rowe’s 10 win and Colin Beaman’s 7 victory meant we had a bit of breathing space, and Wayne Rogers 18 win helped us to a 30 shot victory at home. We just had to keep it tight away and we did, with Jamie King winning the Shropshire man of the match award winning 18 20m over the middle along with Tom Roden fighting back from 13-8 down in the corners to win 15 to help us win by 3 away from home in another great away performance.
Overall a solid performance overall meant another win, and with Warwick and Worcester beating Derbyshire by 43 it means we have one foot in the Semi Finals. But we still need to win to seal our place in our next game on 3rd July against Derbyshire.
Home Venue: Pontesbury Nags Head Green. Address: The Nags Head, Pontesbury, SY5 0QD
1) Rich Goddard 16-21 Leighton Roberts
2) Callum Wraight 21-14 Paul Hallett
3) Darren Wellings 21-14 Geraint Williams
4) Kiah Roberts 21-19 Dave “Dickie” Jones
5) Clay Flattley 10-21 Robin Bennett
6) Glyn Herbert 10-21 Nick Jones
7) Ashley Wellings 21-17 Arwel Davies
8) Wayne Phillips 21-9 Darren Lacey
9) Adie Rowe 21-10 Keiron Roberts
10) Colin Beaman 21-7 Andy Armstrong
11) Michael Beer 18-21 Martin Jones
12) Wayne Rogers 21-18 Craig Griffiths
Shropshire 222-192 WalesAway Venue: Betws-yn-Rhos Bowling Club, Dolwen Road, Betws-yn-Rhos, LL22 8AP
1) Andy Moss 17-21 Jason Jones
2) Rich Lawson 21-20 Geraint Jones
3) Scott Harries 21-7 Michael Pritchard
4) Glyn Picknell 12-21 John Short
5) Peter Grimston 21-17 Adam Penlington
6) Robert Roden 21-12 Nick Hughes
7) Phil Emery 17-21 Barry Harris
8) Rob Burroughs 15-21 Paul Walley
9) Paul Reeves 17-21 Keith Bailey
10) Jamie King 21-18 Francis Penlington
11) Martin Lloyd 14-21 Steve Lawley
12) Tom Roden 21-15 Neale Charlton
Shropshire 218-215 Wales